So I’ve been meaning to write this post for a good while but I’ve procrastinated because… that’s just my nature. I recently had a second baby and I had some time (sort of) to do some thinking about my life and my goals. I really got to thinking about how I spend my time, and came to the realization that I spend A LOT of my time on my phone just shopping. Because I am breastfeeding, there’s not a lot else I can do while my kid is attached to my boob. So: online shopping.
There are so many factors that contribute to this need we all have to be the best and have the latest and greatest. I think social media a huge contributor, it’s hard to find someone who isn’t selling something, even if it’s just how amazing their life is or how cute their kids are! I looked at my life and all the crap I have (and really most of it is crap) and I’m not able to do the things I want to do because I keep buying STUFF. To that end, I have decided not to shop for clothing, shoes, makeup or home items for the next year
I am an organizer and a planner by nature, so I have made some “provisos some quid pro quos”, some rules for me to follow.
- No new clothing, makeup, accessories, home goods, shoes etc from June 1, 2018 to May 31, 2019. *Kill me now.
- Gifts don’t count. I am not going to disregard someone’s birthday because I am a rampant shopaholic!
- I am keeping my subscriptions- because truthfully I gotta live a little here! I’ll do reviews of those too if you guys are interested. I think I have the perfect combination of spend to actual value!
- I will buy kids clothes as needed. My three month old is a giant baby and will probably keep growing! However, I will utilize my financial advisor Lulu before I make any purchase.
- Replacement items do not count – unless I already own a comparable item. As in: replace shampoo when its all gone, but I have more than enough foundation for the next year!
- If I receive a gift card, I can go no more than $5 over it but I can buy an item from the corresponding store.
I’ll be posting my budget style tips, and I’m sure I’ll still browse my favorite sites and share the items on my wishlist but no buying for me! I want to keep this as an on going ‘blog series’. So let me know if you want weekly or monthly updates. I will also still be doing style and outfit ideas, and makeup tutorials using items that are still available to buy from the major sites or that you might already own.
My next post will be about building a base for your closet- what the basics are and how to use them for more than one outfit!